October is Parent Involvement Month
“Parents are a child’s first and most influential teachers”
~ Governor Maggie Hassan
October is Parent Involvement in Education Month in NH. This effort, co-sponsored by the Parent Information Center of NH (PIC), is designed to promote strong collaboration between parents and schools.
Studies consistently show that when parents are more involved with their children’s education, those children will achieve more, make more friends, finish school, and be more likely to go on to college. A UNH study concluded that effective parent involvement was equal to adding $1,000 per student every year to a school’s budget.
In celebration of Parent Involvement Month:
- The NH Department of Education and PIC are co-sponsoring the annual Parent Involvement in Education Awards. This event celebrates the efforts of educators, parents, and family-school partnership teams from around the state that displayed creativity, innovation, and/or commitment at the community, school, district, or state level. Find out more about all those who were honored for their work during the 2015-2016 year.
- To assist in promoting Family-School Partnerships, two calendars have been created with activities and tools for families, schools and the community to become more engaged with students. Click Parent Calendar or School/Staff Calendar to view.
NH Family-School-Community Partnership Standards (based on PTA Standards)
- Welcoming All Families
- Communicating Effectively
- Supporting Student Success
- Speaking Up For Every Child
- Sharing Decision-Making
- Collaborating as a Community
For more information on Parent Involvement in Education Month, contact the Parent Information Center at 224-7005 or email@example.com.